Sadly, our annual Oscar party tradition just wasn’t in the cards for this year. Lots of other things happening, and we only managed to see three of the Best Picture Noms: Black Panther, BlacKKKlansman, and The Favourite; which is sort of pathetic when you consider Roma is on Netflix. (We did better on the Animated Films this year — Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse FTW!)
It wasn’t lack of desire to see the other films, or lack of enthusiasm (even though the Oscar organizers themselves are having sort of an off year–with all the procedural controversies, missing host, etc.) It’s just the year we’ve had.
BUT whether there are two of us or twenty, our tradition is to create a spread of foods that play on the best picture nominations (and sometimes the actors and actresses, too). Hubs usually creates an accompanying cocktail, like last year’s Molotov Cocktails for 3 Billboards… and my all-time favorite, Hell or High Watermelon.
So I thought we’d go ahead and throw some ideas around for Oscar night tonight.
And the Menu Nominees Are…
- BLACK PANTHER – I have a couple of ideas for this one… With Mardi Gras around the corner, I thought it would be fun to do a King of Wakanda cake with a toy panther hidden inside for the winner. But then I found this amazing video (see also below) by Nnedi Okorafor, the writer of the storyline Black Panther: Long Live the King, in which she gives her idea of what Wakandans might eat based on the various African cultures that inspired fictional Wakanda. Um, yeah. I’m going to be making some of these!
- White Chocolate-Dipped Oreos for BLACKKKLANSMAN (which, by the way, is an amazing film, and IMHO should be required viewing for high school history classes. I’m rooting for this film tonight and not just because Spike Lee is due. Which he is.). Obviously these are available for sale, but here’s a fun recipe anyway.
- BOHEMIAN Lettuce WRAPSODIES (Thanks to my friend Leslie for that suggestion!)
- Roasted Quail or Poached Quail Eggs in honor of the shooting scenes in THE FAVOURITE (you could also do blue and white cake, but ewwww…)
- Stuffed ROMA Tomatoes – Here’s a recipe that sounds yummy!
- A STAR-shaped cookie IS BORN – Okay, yes. This is just laziness on my part, but if we were actually throwing an Oscar party we’d have a couple of easy dishes like this one. I’m open to more creative ideas!
- Miami VICE Cocktail? Too much of a stretch?
- GREEN BOOK – Hmm… I haven’t seen this one, and while I love both lead actors, I have mixed feelings about it based on context alone. But maybe some soul food to honor a trip through the Jim Crow South using the book that was the inspiration for the movie’s title? Totally open to your suggestions! Hit me up in the comments, especially if you’re hosting an Oscar party tonight, making your own creative foods, or just dreaming of it like I am…
Whether you’re watching the Oscars tonight with friends, enjoying it alone in your PJ’s, or just going to bed early, I hope you enjoy!
Sign up for M.J’s Mailing list & read Late for the Holidays FREE! Sign Me Up!